Hey moms and dads,
This week at SNR HI we are going to be watching the Nefarious: Merchant of Souls documentary that deals with the issue of human trafficking on a global scale. Every year we try and watch something – whether it be Invisible Children, Hotel Rwanda, or others – that challenges and stretches our perspectives and broadens our scope of what is happening beyond our front step.
The film deals with some important and at times difficult subject matter. It is both heartbreaking and hope inspiring.
And it is urgently important.
Here’s a snapshot and what the situation with human trafficking is today:
The Cold Facts of Modern Slavery
- A child is trafficked every 30 seconds. – UNICEF
- The average age of entry into commercial sex slavery in the United States is 13 years old. – United States Department of Justice
- Human Trafficking occurs in 161 out of 192 countries. – The United Nations
- Pornography is a 96 billion dollar per year industry. – The Internet Filter Review
- Up to 96% of women in prostitution want to escape but feel they can’t. – United Labor Organization
- Human Trafficking is a 32 billion dollar per year industry. – The United Nations
- In some countries it is estimated that 70% of men purchase sex. – Victor Malarek; The Johns
- Over 27 million people are enslaved around the world. This is more than double the number of Africans enslaved during the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. – Kevin Bales; Free the Slaves
Your children are part of a generation that could have significant impact on something close to God’s heart – the care and wellbeing of the vulnerable and the oppressed.
We believe it is important to provide opportunities to see these kind of films, and also want to extend the invitation to you as well. We’d love to have you if you’d like to come!
If you want more information on the film, below you can find links to the website, and to a few reviews and articles. if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Stephen at the office – 931-4949 or email, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official Website: www.nefariousdocumentary.com